Data Conversion

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:02 PM
First, very cool to see this mature.  I wrote Membership Management software for Bellevue as a part of that great church's staff back in the early 90's, and I'd love to believe that this project is a descendant of some of the stuff that happened back then.  A great blessing for me!!!!

OK, first question . . . what provision is being made within the project for data conversion from other significant-market-share CMS products?  The destination sounds promising, but there has to be a way to get there, right?

- Russell Howard
- Executive Pastor
- McGregor Baptist Church
- Fort Myers, FL
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Hi Russell,

I’m sure some of the data that went into that system is still in our database.

Regarding data conversion, I’d be looking for a church to “sponsor” that as a project on a fee based approach. Then the resulting code would be made part of the open-source project and available for other churches to benefit from. Should be a very straight forward process though, I’m guessing about a week’s work to make it generic enough to be run as more than a one-time process.

We’ve just gotten started marketing the system as an open source project. So we’ve got a lot to do and learn about transitioning this from something that has been great for Bellevue to the church community at large.

How did you hear about bvcms.com? Did you see the videos?

I’d suggest you sign-up on www.bvcms.com and play around with the system .

David Carroll

Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:02 AM
To: David Carroll
Subject: Data Conversion [bvcms:54971]

First, very cool to see this mature. I wrote Membership Management software for Bellevue as a part of that great church's staff back in the early 90's, and I'd love to believe that this project is a descendant of some of the stuff that happened back then. A great blessing for me!!!!

OK, first question . . . what provision is being made within the project for data conversion from other significant-market-share CMS products? The destination sounds promising, but there has to be a way to get there, right?

- Russell Howard
- Executive Pastor
- Fort Myers, FL

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (bvcms@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email bvcms@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM
Hi David!!
Good to hear from you.
I'm at the Exec Pastor's Mega, in San Antonio, with David Coombs (who, in further Kingdom Coolness, was very instrumental in my joining the Bellevue staff in '89 based on some computer stuff I had done for his lumber company and the trust company that I was working for). It's cool when things come full circle!
For us, the issue would be Shelby . . . . migrating our user data. I don't know what export tools already exist in Shelby. For me, I like converting "old school" via delimited ASCII, so I can look at my data in transition and spot any problems, but I am a product of a different, long ago, generation. :-)
I need to play with your demos, and will, and I also have asked my IT guy, John Evans, to begin just messin' with this. We like Shelby for financials, as does Bellevue, but the Membership side is falling behind, and not getting any cheaper . . . .
- Russell

Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:14 PM
To: russell howard
Subject: Re: Data Conversion [bvcms:54971]

Hi Russell,

I’m sure some of the data that went into that system is still in our database.

Regarding data conversion, I’d be looking for a church to “sponsor” that as a project on a fee based approach. Then the resulting code would be made part of the open-source project and available for other churches to benefit from. Should be a very straight forward process though, I’m guessing about a week’s work to make it generic enough to be run as more than a one-time process.

We’ve just gotten started marketing the system as an open source project. So we’ve got a lot to do and learn about transitioning this from something that has been great for Bellevue to the church community at large.

How did you hear about bvcms.com? Did you see the videos?

I’d suggest you sign-up on www.bvcms.com and play around with the system .

David Carroll

Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:02 AM
To: David Carroll
Subject: Data Conversion [bvcms:54971]

First, very cool to see this mature. I wrote Membership Management software for Bellevue as a part of that great church's staff back in the early 90's, and I'd love to believe that this project is a descendant of some of the stuff that happened back then. A great blessing for me!!!!

OK, first question . . . what provision is being made within the project for data conversion from other significant-market-share CMS products? The destination sounds promising, but there has to be a way to get there, right?

- Russell Howard
- Executive Pastor
- Fort Myers, FL

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (bvcms@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email bvcms@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com