BVCMS - Minor UI Enhancements.

Developer
Dec 12, 2010 at 5:35 AM
Edited Dec 12, 2010 at 5:48 AM

Here are a number of small UI enhancements I think would greatly enhance the usability for those who aren't in the IT field. I'd be happy to make these changes to the code myself - but wanted to propose them first and also wasn't sure if that would be easiest, since these are minor and if I upload the changes it would involve a code merge on your end.

(This will be a living document...as items are resolved I'll remove...and as I find new ones I'll add them).

• Areas\Setup\Views\Program\Index.aspx: Add style="width: 90%" to the table, this will make the table stretch out across most of the screen.
    • Change ProgramName to Program Name.
    • Change RptGroup to Report Group.
  • Areas\Setup\Views\Division\Results.ascx: Add style="width: 90%" to the table, this will make the table stretch out across most of the screen.
    • Change column RptLine to Report Line.
    • Change column TargetProg to Target Program.
    • Change column MainProgram to Main Program.
  • Areas\Setup\Views\Fund\Index.aspx: Change ViewPage1 to "Funds".
    • Remove Fund from FundName, FundDescription, FundStatusId, FundTypeID, FundPledgeFlag. Preferrably make into "Name", "Description", "Status ID", "Type ID", "Pledge Flag"
    • Add style="width: 90%" as above.
  • Admin\Users.aspx: Needs to be rewritten using MVC and have masterpage utilized.
  • Allow us to add/remove widgets on dashboard.
    • Allow us to add a "links" widget that can link out to all our other systems. For us this would include (a) main church website, (b) google docs, (c) email accounts, (d) perhaps various ministry resources, (e) google calendar.
  • Under Home there is a "Home Page" link - this takes us back to the main page, same as clicking on Home. Under Person there is not a "Person Page" link - for consistency I would remove the "Home Page" link - people can just click on "Home"
  • I am confused by the "Quick Search" option under People - is there an advanced Search?
    • I was initially further confused by "Contact Search" - to me this would search through all my contacts, but instead it searches through all my instances of contact. What about if it was called "Visit Search" or "Interaction Search"?
  • For Contact Search, add a width of 90% to make the columns larger and stretch out across most of the screen.
  • Under Organization or Organization Search - why are there columns "BDay Start" and "BDay End"? The organization doesn't have a birthday?
    • Change TargetDiv and MainDiv to Target Division and Main Division.

Dave.

Coordinator
Dec 12, 2010 at 5:48 AM

Dave, that would be great for you to tackle those changes. To do it right, you would fork the project, make the changes and then I would merge them back into the main timeline. You should go through a tutorial on Mecurial to understand this process. http://hginit.com/ would be a good one.

Developer
Dec 12, 2010 at 5:49 AM

Sounds good. I'll try it tomorrow...off to bed for the evening!

Dave.

Developer
Dec 16, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Just a brief update - I'm still planning on making these updates - but my development laptop (a brand new Toshiba!) has some major issues and I have a replacement motherboard on the way now...so I'm out of commission for the next few days as far as development goes. :-/ I had hoped I'd be able to have it back up and running by now - but no such luck.

Dave.

Coordinator
Dec 16, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I have to repave my machine about once a year. I always dread that!

Coordinator
Dec 16, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Dave,

The organization has a birthday range because it helps target visiting children to the appropriate class for our Touchscreen Checkin system. And the reason it is on the OrgSearch page is because setting those dates up is an intensive task and you can click them right there and change them instantly. For any church with a large Children's ministry, this is critical because it has to be done at least once a year.

Advanced Search is QueryBuilder.

The label Contact Search is just using our own semantics and domain language. It refers to a Ministry Contact.

I don't like the idea of having the heading of a dropdown menu be the only way to click something. I just made the heading clickable as another way to get to the home page. If I were to make a change, I would remove the home link and leave the Home Page in there for UI consistency. I just made the top link do the most reasonable default if you click it. I don't see how that is confusing or a problem as it is quite discoverable.

When jQuery UI 1.9 comes out, I'll probably switch to their menu control.