Feature Request: Calendaring Integration

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:35 AM

It'd be great to have some sort of shared calendaring integrated into bvcms. I don't see any need to recreate the wheel - maybe just plugging into Google Calendar or something similar.

Dave.

Jul 10, 2010 at 3:49 AM
I would need to be sold on this. Right now I am not seeing it other than to create an entirely separate Calendaring/Room Scheduling system.

Please do some thinking about what that would look like. Not sure what the integration point is. Say you have a Google calendar, but what in that calender would show up where in BVCMS? And what in BVCMS would show up in that calendar and why? And also make the case for how that would help beyond what Google Calendar already does. In other words, what is the use case?
Jul 10, 2010 at 3:59 AM

I think it would make most sense as part of a dashboard overhaul. I like the widget-like interface bvcms has - but it would be awesome if it was modular in nature - so we could add/remove widgets. One of the widgets could be a Google calendar widget. I'm just thinking of how it could make life easier for staff workers - if they had essentially one interface through which they could access all of their constantly utilized applications.

Dave.

Jul 10, 2010 at 4:23 AM
Edited Jul 10, 2010 at 4:36 AM

Oh, I see, you are not talking about any integration other than to have a spot to put a widget which does not interact with the system in any other way. Do you know how to do that? Or are you just talking about the ability to edit an area of the home page with your own HTML? That would be easy.

Speaking of one interface. I call it a tabbed browser. Amazing what all you can do with that one app and it is completely customizable. You can have as many tabs as you like. Yes I am being a bit facetious but I have never been much of a fan of the portal page that does everything especially unrelated things.
Got far too many more significant things to do. The kinds of things I am concentrating on is when people say "Gee this part of my job is painful, can you make it easier." And if it is BVCMS that is making it painful, that really gets my attention and I'll respond, particularly if it is significant for ministry. The "wouldn't it be cool if..." type projects are just not very high on the list as long as I have a backlog of projects that can really have an impact on ministry and someone's daily time and work. Even then, I have to prioritize them.