Missing How to Create a New Person?

Developer
May 29, 2010 at 3:43 AM

Okay...I've looked through the documentation and I must be missing something. I'm logged in as an administrator but I don't see any options to create a new person. I've tried running searches - and even when the results come up with no results I'm not given a create option. Can someone point me in the right direction? :)

Dave

Developer
May 29, 2010 at 3:52 AM

Okay, I figured it out. You first have to go in and edit the organization ("First Organization") before you are able to add people (and for those who didn't know - you must also search for the person, then search for the family, and finally are allowed to add a person).

Dave.

Coordinator
May 29, 2010 at 4:10 AM

Dave, see http://wiki.bvcms.com/SearchAdd.ashx

This explains the philosophy and the details of how adding people works and why there is not Add Person menu item.

Developer
May 29, 2010 at 4:26 AM

Thanks Dave! I don't disagree with the philosophy - I was just confused since I needed to edit the organization before my searches would allow me to add people.

Dave

Coordinator
May 29, 2010 at 4:32 AM

Actually, you are not "editing" the organization, you are just viewing it. You can add people in four areas:

• To an organization (you are adding a member)
  • To a meeting (you are adding a visitor)
  • To a family (you are adding a new family member)
  • Or to a Contact (you are adding someone you ministered to) 

These all represent entry points to the database.

The exception is when you are building a database from scratch in which case you just pick an organization as a "staging area" add add there en masse. Then every so often you drop those you added from this staging area organization. They remain in the database.

There is another interesting philosophy in how to create a new organization. This is done by copying an existing organization without the members. You are copying the characteristics of an existing organization which serves as sort of a template.

Developer
Jun 1, 2010 at 3:15 AM

Dave,

Can you expound a little more on the differences between a visitor and a contact? If I'm understanding correctly a visitor is someone who attends a church function but a contact is someone who you reach out and minister to outside of a church function?

Dave.

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Dave, you are correct.

A visitor is a record of attendance at a scheduled meeting. A meeting occurs in an organization and a meeting has attendees. Members of the organization are expected to be at the meeting and their attendance is tracked. You can have a visitor to a meeting. Might be a worship service, Sunday school class, etc.

A contact is a record of a ministry contact. There are two sides of a contact, the ministering side (the contactors) and the recipient side (those being ministered to, contactees). A contact is used to record visitation, letters, emails, phone calls, personal visits, etc.

A task in bvcms is related to a contact in that a task can be delegated to a minister (lay or staff) "about" a person. The task might come from an outreach director who would dole out tasks to miinisters for every person/family that visited the church in the last week for example. Then such a task can only be completed with a contact report.

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Dave, it occurs to me we should distinguish our greetings. I'll call you Dave. You call me David (that's what people call me anyway)

Developer
Jun 2, 2010 at 4:01 AM

Will do!